As an employer or line manager of someone with inherited sight loss, there are a number of things you will need to know, including:
- About the condition and how it might impact on someone’s ability to do the job they are employed to do.
- Ways in which any such barriers might be overcome.
- How the relevant disability discrimination legislation affects your and your employee’s rights.
- How and when any relevant health and safety legislation can and should be applied.
- Practical and physical changes which may need to be made to the workplace.
- Where you, your company, or your employee can get more assistance if required.
Most people affected by loss of vision will understand there may be limits on the nature of the work they can complete. Many careers however can continue uninterrupted with reasonable adjustments, some support and the use of assistive technology.